These handy hints and tips from recommended provider Albourne Equestrian Centre will help you prepare for your child's first horse riding experience.
Please don’t worry about having specialist equipment, a quality riding school like Albourne will supply you with the basics needed to give you a taster (which is a pair of boots and a riding hat).
However there are a number of things you can do to make their first experience safer and more comfortable.
1. Long hair should be tied back out of the way (a low pony tail is best so it doesn't interfere with your child's hat fitting)
2. All jewellery should be removed.
3. Children should dress in trousers without a seam if possible to avoid any discomfort rubbing their inside leg
4. Winter weather – make sure you wrap up your child warmly when they go riding; a jumper or a waist-length coat is perfect.
5. Body protectors – these are recommended for all horse riding activities and can be bought from your local equine retailer.
When you are ready to invest, you can get some great stuff second hand (but never buy an old riding hat) this must always be new as you never know if this has been damaged or dropped – which will reduce its protection. If you become a member of the Albourne Pony Club, riding our horses you can access their second hand shop and we will put you in touch if you’re interested.
If you want more information about what certain equestrian terminology means before you go on your horse riding experience, or after you get back, why not visit this jargon buster on the Hoof Ride website which will provide you with easy explanations to those sometimes confusing expressions.
Do you live in Sussex and want to learn to ride a horse in a safe, fun and progressive environment ? Go to the Albourne Equestrian open day 31stAugust
Come along - we would love to meet you!
Check out the fun we have here...www.facebook.com/AlbourneEquestrianCentre
Henfield Rd, Albourne, Hassocks, West Sussex BN6 9DE - 01273 832989
10% off party supplies
Monthly offers for kids activities
Bookmark your favourites
Win an iPad Mini (T+Cs apply)